Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The possession of adult qualities such as emotional maturity or responsibility.
sense of responsibility, sense, level-headedness, responsibleness, matureness, wisdom, adultnessView synonyms
- ‘There's a formidable, unflinching adultness about Steely Dan, especially late Steely Dan, which is immensely impressive.’
- ‘The debate should proceed from the premise that adult education must above all be a vehicle for enhancing adultness.’
- ‘The depth and adultness of Connie, however, may well be more due to the stunning performance of Diane Lane than to the script or to Lyne's direction.’
- ‘The amount of emotional space it takes to have a feeling of adultness and autonomy will vary from relationship to relationship.’
- ‘Can the degree or quality of an individual's adultness be assessed?’
- ‘When Rock Hudson and Doris Day shared fume and frustration in their prolonged comedic foreplay, there was a hint of adultness about it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.