Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Affected with adrenaline.
- ‘He jumped, hurling his adrenalised body left onto the pavement.’
- ‘All this in a few seconds and as suddenly as it started it finished and I leapt out of bed, grabbing my glasses and running into the hallway, more adrenalised than scared.’
- ‘It was only as they were hurrying back to their respective homes that night did they become themselves again - two adrenalized teenagers who felt as if they had conquered the world in an hour.’
- ‘My booksack is beside my right hip and, still tired and angry, yet adrenalized, I open it and pull out my only assignment, chemistry.’
- ‘The sensible thing to do would have been to kick him in the ribs, I was furiously angry, I was beside myself furious, adrenalised to the max.’
- 1.1informal Excited, charged, or tense.‘they possess an adrenalized vigour that distinguishes them from other bands’
- ‘I could go on but all I seem to remember the adrenalized racket of guitars scraping my eardrums.’
- ‘This was big-budget American action cinema at its burliest - an adrenalized blur of gunfire, squealing tires and screaming faces.’
- ‘The purpose of these tracks would seem to be for adrenalized action, but it merely serves to dominate the game's aural aspect.’
- ‘The emergency room is an urgently adrenalized place where everybody fights to find patchwork solutions to problems, leaving the long-term consequences for the patients to another day.’
- ‘Petronio transforms these time-tested techniques into his singular brand of adrenalized, edgy dance.’
- ‘Sailors from Australia and New Zealand have been hooked for decades on the adrenalized thrills of skiff sailing - a sport in which two- or three-person boats fly ridiculous amounts of sail on shallow, lightning-fast hulls.’
- ‘Just that instant of anticipation, the realization of what was about to happen, was an adrenalized buzz.’
- ‘The end result is an amazing 45 minutes of pure, adrenalized musical bliss - sloppy playing and all.’
- ‘Like their fellow citizens Plastilina Mosh and Café Tacuba, Kinky are polymorphous postmodernists with one foot in experimental art and the other in adrenalized dance.’
- ‘This 2001 set comes closest to capturing their kinetic, adrenalised live synergy.’
- ‘Together they are an unmissable combination and ‘Pretty Bones’ sends adrenalised rushes of excitement through everyone's body.’
- ‘It may be the most adrenalized sequence in all of contemporary cinema.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.