Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a pair of ductless glands situated above the kidneys. Each consists of a core region (adrenal medulla) secreting adrenaline and noradrenaline, and an outer region (adrenal cortex) secreting corticosteroids.‘adrenal function was normal in this group of patients’
- ‘The adrenal glands are situated on the superior portion of each kidney.’
- ‘Certain problems with your kidneys, adrenal glands or even a complicated pregnancy can cause high blood pressure.’
- ‘There remains only a limited source of female sex hormones after the menopause, by conversion of androgens secreted by the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘The pituitary gland is the ‘master’ gland, controlling the adrenal cortex and the thyroid.’
- ‘The pituitary, in turn, tells the fetal adrenal gland to secrete more cortisol.’
- ‘A hormone secreted by the adrenal gland that raises blood pressure by constricting arteries and increasing heart rate.’
- ‘Due to the proximity of and propensity for renal cell carcinoma to spread to the adrenal cortex, this possibility should be excluded.’
- ‘Other reported sites, in order of prevalence, include the bones, brain, kidneys, and adrenal glands.’
- ‘The ultrasound was normal, but an undifferentiated mass in the region of the right adrenal gland was detected.’
- ‘The nodules did not invade the adrenal capsule or adrenal medulla.’
- ‘The kidney and adrenal gland were grossly unremarkable.’
- ‘Aldosterone, a steroid hormone produced in the outer layer of the adrenal cortex, promotes renal sodium retention and potassium loss.’
- ‘Incidental renal or adrenal masses are sometimes found during imaging for problems unrelated to the kidneys and adrenal glands.’
- ‘Computed tomography of her abdomen showed normal adrenal glands.’
- ‘The activity level of the major organs increases, and hormones are secreted through the adrenal gland and nervous system.’
- ‘One, a 20 year old female, had deposits in the brain, liver, lung, bone marrow, adrenal glands, and ovaries.’
- ‘Epinephrine is produced and released from the adrenal medulla in the kidney (ie, endogenous).’
- ‘Prolonged adrenal suppression results in atrophy of the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘In nonpregnant women, the main sites of progesterone biosynthesis are the ovaries and the adrenal cortices.’
- ‘Cortisone is one of several steroid hormones secreted by the cortex (outer covering) of the adrenal gland.’
An adrenal gland.
- ‘Reflexologists say these areas are connected to the adrenals, pituitary glands and uterus, respectively.’
- ‘Under prolonged stress in the modern world the adrenals and the entire endocrine system are overworked and the adrenals may eventually ‘burnout’.’
- ‘The adrenals are the fourth most common location for metastatic disease.’
- ‘Lung cancers often metastasize to the brain, liver, adrenals, bone, and kidneys but evaluation of these organs is usually directed by symptoms and clinical suspicion rather than by routine scanning.’
- ‘The finding may also mean that, in severe cases, it may be more appropriate to remove the defective adrenals and administer cortisol and other adrenal hormones artificially.’
- ‘The visible portions of the liver and adrenals were negative for metastases.’
- ‘The liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, thymus, adrenals, and stomach were examined histopathologically and were all found to be normal.’
- ‘When it circulates, it affects the thyroid, adrenals, and gonads.’
- ‘The diagnosis was revised to carcinoma of the lung with metastases to the adrenals.’
- ‘Cadmium also accumulates in the bone, pancreas, adrenals, and placenta.’
- ‘The adrenals are intimately involved in the stress response.’
- ‘The lungs, bones, liver, and adrenals are the most common of metastasis.’
- ‘The adrenals, located atop the kidneys, secrete cortisol, a hormone that protects the body in stressful situations.’
- ‘Four patients responded despite extensive metastases to liver, brain, skin, and adrenals, with survival of 4 to 6 months.’
- ‘Nongonadal organs, such as the adrenals and brain, may produce sex steroids.’
- ‘To give your adrenals time to recover this function, your doctor may advise you to reduce your dosage gradually over a period of weeks or even months.’
- ‘Because these lesions are clinically silent, chest CT scans to evaluate for lung cancer should include cuts through the adrenals.’
- ‘The hormone from the pituitary gland that prompts the adrenals to produce steroids is called adrenocorticotropic hormone.’
- ‘The good news was that I could allow my adrenals to replenish themselves by incorporating some quieting activities into my hectic lifestyle, such as adding yoga and gentle bicycling to my five-day exercise regimen, Steelsmith said.’
- ‘The adrenals are triangular glands that sit atop each kidney.’
Late 19th century: from ad- + renal.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.