Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a pair of ductless glands situated above the kidneys. Each consists of a core region (adrenal medulla) secreting adrenaline and noradrenaline, and an outer region (adrenal cortex) secreting corticosteroids:‘adrenal function was normal in this group of patients’
- ‘The pituitary, in turn, tells the fetal adrenal gland to secrete more cortisol.’
- ‘Computed tomography of her abdomen showed normal adrenal glands.’
- ‘Certain problems with your kidneys, adrenal glands or even a complicated pregnancy can cause high blood pressure.’
- ‘Incidental renal or adrenal masses are sometimes found during imaging for problems unrelated to the kidneys and adrenal glands.’
- ‘Other reported sites, in order of prevalence, include the bones, brain, kidneys, and adrenal glands.’
- ‘The pituitary gland is the ‘master’ gland, controlling the adrenal cortex and the thyroid.’
- ‘Aldosterone, a steroid hormone produced in the outer layer of the adrenal cortex, promotes renal sodium retention and potassium loss.’
- ‘There remains only a limited source of female sex hormones after the menopause, by conversion of androgens secreted by the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘One, a 20 year old female, had deposits in the brain, liver, lung, bone marrow, adrenal glands, and ovaries.’
- ‘Cortisone is one of several steroid hormones secreted by the cortex (outer covering) of the adrenal gland.’
- ‘In nonpregnant women, the main sites of progesterone biosynthesis are the ovaries and the adrenal cortices.’
- ‘A hormone secreted by the adrenal gland that raises blood pressure by constricting arteries and increasing heart rate.’
- ‘Epinephrine is produced and released from the adrenal medulla in the kidney (ie, endogenous).’
- ‘The kidney and adrenal gland were grossly unremarkable.’
- ‘Prolonged adrenal suppression results in atrophy of the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘The nodules did not invade the adrenal capsule or adrenal medulla.’
- ‘The activity level of the major organs increases, and hormones are secreted through the adrenal gland and nervous system.’
- ‘The ultrasound was normal, but an undifferentiated mass in the region of the right adrenal gland was detected.’
- ‘The adrenal glands are situated on the superior portion of each kidney.’
- ‘Due to the proximity of and propensity for renal cell carcinoma to spread to the adrenal cortex, this possibility should be excluded.’
An adrenal gland.
- ‘Nongonadal organs, such as the adrenals and brain, may produce sex steroids.’
- ‘Under prolonged stress in the modern world the adrenals and the entire endocrine system are overworked and the adrenals may eventually ‘burnout’.’
- ‘Because these lesions are clinically silent, chest CT scans to evaluate for lung cancer should include cuts through the adrenals.’
- ‘Reflexologists say these areas are connected to the adrenals, pituitary glands and uterus, respectively.’
- ‘The liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, thymus, adrenals, and stomach were examined histopathologically and were all found to be normal.’
- ‘The visible portions of the liver and adrenals were negative for metastases.’
- ‘The adrenals are the fourth most common location for metastatic disease.’
- ‘The diagnosis was revised to carcinoma of the lung with metastases to the adrenals.’
- ‘The hormone from the pituitary gland that prompts the adrenals to produce steroids is called adrenocorticotropic hormone.’
- ‘Lung cancers often metastasize to the brain, liver, adrenals, bone, and kidneys but evaluation of these organs is usually directed by symptoms and clinical suspicion rather than by routine scanning.’
- ‘The finding may also mean that, in severe cases, it may be more appropriate to remove the defective adrenals and administer cortisol and other adrenal hormones artificially.’
- ‘The adrenals are triangular glands that sit atop each kidney.’
- ‘The good news was that I could allow my adrenals to replenish themselves by incorporating some quieting activities into my hectic lifestyle, such as adding yoga and gentle bicycling to my five-day exercise regimen, Steelsmith said.’
- ‘Cadmium also accumulates in the bone, pancreas, adrenals, and placenta.’
- ‘To give your adrenals time to recover this function, your doctor may advise you to reduce your dosage gradually over a period of weeks or even months.’
- ‘The lungs, bones, liver, and adrenals are the most common of metastasis.’
- ‘The adrenals are intimately involved in the stress response.’
- ‘Four patients responded despite extensive metastases to liver, brain, skin, and adrenals, with survival of 4 to 6 months.’
- ‘The adrenals, located atop the kidneys, secrete cortisol, a hormone that protects the body in stressful situations.’
- ‘When it circulates, it affects the thyroid, adrenals, and gonads.’
Late 19th century: from ad- + renal.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.