Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inspiring great affection or delight.‘I have four adorable Siamese cats’
lovable, appealing, charming, cute, sweet, enchanting, bewitching, captivating, engaging, endearing, dear, darling, precious, delightful, lovely, beautiful, attractive, gorgeous, winsome, winning, fetching, pleasingView synonyms
- ‘Jack was an adorable well-mannered, gentle boy who had an extraordinary presence that could light up a room.’
- ‘She told me it was adorable… clothes for little girls and matching clothes for their dolls as well.’
- ‘Yeah, but people expect me to be all… quiet and sensitive and sweet and adorable.’
- ‘The kittens are absolutely adorable and it seems a shame that I can't get anyone to come out and take them away.’
- ‘Shy, charming and adorable, she bounded over to hug Nandita Das as soon as the actor walked in.’
- ‘In the afternoon I go to see the zebras and check on the two new foals which were born just a few days ago - they're adorable.’
- ‘He's adorable, about two years old, part Maaori with a halo of light brown curls.’
- ‘Shari developed her talent and her mom thought her little angel was adorable in a tutu and tights!’
- ‘Lizzie was a most adorable and good person who possessed a caring and loving personality.’
- ‘For now, she's just a kitten, and one of the most adorable ones we've ever come across.’
- ‘They make him look so sweet and adorable and well, that's a total misconception if you really know Jake.’
- ‘Not to worry - this adorable little guy is going to have no trouble finding fabulous new owners, I am sure.’
- ‘It means I get to have the company of this adorable eccentric woman for longer.’
- ‘There were dozens of cats around, one or two of which were absolutely adorable.’
- ‘It is easy to let a Shih Tzu take advantage of you, particularly when it is so cute and adorable.’
- ‘They have a stunning house, two adorable children and a legion of supportive friends.’
- ‘Gillian showed me just a small sample of the many adorable letters and pictures they receive from children each year.’
- ‘The Steiffe range has adorable teddy bear motifs down the legs of the shorts, or the arms of tops and as a logo on T-shirts.’
- ‘Then every now and then she sleeps on me or she cuddles me and purrs and nuzzles and she's totally adorable.’
- ‘Well, for one thing, they are cute and adorable and are less active as compared to dogs.’
Early 17th century (in the sense ‘worthy of divine worship’): from French, from Latin adorabilis, from the verb adorare (see adore).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.