One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person holding the view that Christ is the son of God by adoption only.
- ‘In more recent times the Jesuit Vasquez, and the Lutheran divines G. Calixtus and Walch, have defended the Adoptionists as essentially orthodox.’
- ‘While Adoptionists believed Jesus to be totally human and not divine, Marcionites believed him to be totally divine and not human.’
- ‘The Gnostics were another losing faction and the exact opposite, Christologically, of the Adoptionists.’
- ‘What made Jesus special, the Adoptionists believed, was that Jesus was more righteous than everyone else.’
- ‘Lastly, Nestorianism once more showed itself in the Adoptionists of Spain, and gave occasion to the great Council of Frankfort.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.