One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Filipino dish of chicken or pork stewed in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- ‘I tried the Thai green curry, Filipino adobo and Malaysian satay; all delicious.’
- ‘From the main dishes, there's lots to choose from, but I'd definitely recommend checking out the adobo, the flagship dish of Filipino cuisine: tender chunks of pork cooked in soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaves.’
- ‘To prepare the chicken (both for the adobo and for the soup), the first step is to boil the chicken breasts in a lot of water.’
- ‘In the Philippines, nipa vinegar is used to prepare chicken adobo and paksiw.’
- ‘Everybody, except Sandara who was busy eating some adobo, looked at Hero strangely.’
- ‘These days he gives some squid to friends and uses the rest to make a traditional Philippine dish called adobo, with squid marinated in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and crushed peppercorns, then cooked and served with rice.’
- ‘The Philippine Embassy ladies will participate in the mela and introduce everyone to cuisine like chicken adobo, garlic rice, pancit or vegetarian and non-vegetarian noodles, Philippine chicken barbecue and other delicacies.’
- 1.1 The marinade in which adobo is cooked.
- ‘There are three salads and then several Oriental Specialties including a Filipino adobo braised pork spare ribs.’
- ‘Meat is often marinated in a seasoning mixture known as adobo, which is made from lemon, garlic, pepper, salt, and other spices.’
2A paste or marinade made from chillies, vinegar, herbs, and spices, used in Mexican cooking to flavour meat or fish.
- ‘It is large enough to serve as lunch for two or three, and luxuriously flavoured with pork adobo and with chilli.’
- ‘If you don't have adobo seasoning (found in Latin markets and some supermarkets), use 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon dried red chile flakes.’
- ‘Or you can season the meat as they do in Jalisco, Mexico, with a tangy adobo rub of paprika, herbs, and vinegar.’
- ‘Grilled flank steak is marvelously roast-beefy, sinewy and heady with adobo spice.’
- ‘The adobo marinade may be used to marinate raw meat for up to twenty-four hours before grilling or roasting.’
- ‘Food in the two restaurants - the poolside Ketsi and the more formal Aramara - is wonderful, featuring healthy Nuevo Latino (mango-and-chili-glazed shrimp; adobo veal chops) cuisine.’
- ‘Thus, the Thanksgiving turkey is done with adobo, a local seasoning mix.’
- ‘Plump shrimp empanadas, fried dark as copper, get heat from adobo and sweetness from pineapple.’
- ‘If you can only find whole chipotles, puree 2-3 peppers along with some adobo in a blender to proceed with this recipe.’
Spanish, literally ‘marinade’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.