One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Attached to or modifying a noun.
- ‘However, some adnominal clauses are difficult to classify as either ‘restrictive’ or ‘non-restrictive’.’
- ‘Our method identifies adnominal phrases assigned relatively small weight values.’
- ‘The original plan to distinguish restrictive and descriptive adnominal modifications has been abandoned.’
- ‘If the adnominal genitive in the abbreviated sentence corresponds to the object in the full sentence, it is referred to as an objective genitive.’
- ‘In these two languages the loose genitive is more productive than in Finnish: it is the primary way of indicating possession in adnominal constructions.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin adnomen ‘added name’ + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.