One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The parts adjoining an organ.
- ‘The uterus, cervix, and adnexa should also be assessed for any abnormalities and/or pain.’
- ‘An ultrasound scan showed an empty uterus and a 10-cm complex mass in the right adnexa.’
- ‘Sports-related eye injuries should be evaluated on site with an adequate examination of the eye and adnexa.’
- ‘This technique allows for clear visualisation of the pouch of Douglas and adnexa.’
- ‘There was no ovarian tissue in the right adnexa.’
Late 19th century: Latin, neuter plural of adnexus ‘joined’, from adnectere ‘fasten to’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.