Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘So we were taken aback the other day when an email we had sent to a York PR firm bounced back, accompanied by a strict admonishment.’
- ‘However, enforcement of the dress code regulations has been uneven and, when it occurred, generally consisted of verbal admonishment by security forces.’
- ‘Do you sir, agree with this punishment which would involve the admonishment of a member of your own party?’
- ‘The traditional critical admonishment to distinguish between a writer and his or her work is discarded.’
- ‘His admonishments were drowned by the buzzer of my alarm clock.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.