One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works in advertising.
- ‘People didn't need an adman to tell them what they needed.’
- ‘And anyway, says Patrick, most people are better at filtering out what's true from what's not than most admen may like to believe.’
- ‘A bon vivant who piloted his own plane and hosted the Dutch royal family aboard his yacht, Something Cool, Freddy had an adman's pizzazz.’
- ‘My Dad, an adman in the sixties, was a terrific fan of game shows (although I'm sure he never watched one).’
- ‘As the legendary adman James Webb Young said: ‘What we are has a way of shining through, whatever we say or do.’’
- ‘Mother has opened an office in the US during the new year and four of America's top admen, including a former head of advertising for Nike, have joined the team.’
- ‘She was brought up in Michigan where her grandfather was an adman for General Motors and her father's sideline was boxing promotion.’
- ‘Jack Trout, coauthor of the book Positioning and Marketing Warfare, dedicates his latest work, Differentiate or Die, to the legendary adman Rosser Reeves.’
- ‘The admen behind cartoon cow Graham Heffer have been asked to work on a new campaign for the Cream of Manchester, which could see him replaced after just two and a half years.’
- ‘Later, through sheer coincidence, the adman falls for the victim's widow.’
- ‘For admen in the '70s, subliminal advertising was not a social threat but - worse!’
- ‘Having just the kind of look that the admen love, her management realise that Benedetti may have a future outside her playing: modelling is meant to be one of the items on the agenda.’
- ‘If you doubt it, think of Chelsea, the favourites to win what admen call the Premiership.’
- ‘After all, the single goal of advertising is to stimulate demand by each and every means, and the ingenuity of admen knows no bounds.’
- ‘As the admen say, never confuse the thing being sold for the thing itself.’
- ‘Owen plays Charles Schine, an unhappy adman whose sleek boss has just removed him from his most lucrative account.’
- ‘‘Products are made in the factory,’ one adman says, ‘but brands are made in the mind.’’
- ‘‘Good morning, gentlemen,’ he said, striding towards the table and offering his hand to the admen.’
- ‘My generation might be a consumer generation in the eyes of the admen, but we are also a generation that is more or less broke.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.