One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works in advertising.
- ‘‘Products are made in the factory,’ one adman says, ‘but brands are made in the mind.’’
- ‘Later, through sheer coincidence, the adman falls for the victim's widow.’
- ‘As the legendary adman James Webb Young said: ‘What we are has a way of shining through, whatever we say or do.’’
- ‘My generation might be a consumer generation in the eyes of the admen, but we are also a generation that is more or less broke.’
- ‘Jack Trout, coauthor of the book Positioning and Marketing Warfare, dedicates his latest work, Differentiate or Die, to the legendary adman Rosser Reeves.’
- ‘She was brought up in Michigan where her grandfather was an adman for General Motors and her father's sideline was boxing promotion.’
- ‘A bon vivant who piloted his own plane and hosted the Dutch royal family aboard his yacht, Something Cool, Freddy had an adman's pizzazz.’
- ‘My Dad, an adman in the sixties, was a terrific fan of game shows (although I'm sure he never watched one).’
- ‘If you doubt it, think of Chelsea, the favourites to win what admen call the Premiership.’
- ‘Mother has opened an office in the US during the new year and four of America's top admen, including a former head of advertising for Nike, have joined the team.’
- ‘People didn't need an adman to tell them what they needed.’
- ‘Owen plays Charles Schine, an unhappy adman whose sleek boss has just removed him from his most lucrative account.’
- ‘And anyway, says Patrick, most people are better at filtering out what's true from what's not than most admen may like to believe.’
- ‘For admen in the '70s, subliminal advertising was not a social threat but - worse!’
- ‘Having just the kind of look that the admen love, her management realise that Benedetti may have a future outside her playing: modelling is meant to be one of the items on the agenda.’
- ‘The admen behind cartoon cow Graham Heffer have been asked to work on a new campaign for the Cream of Manchester, which could see him replaced after just two and a half years.’
- ‘As the admen say, never confuse the thing being sold for the thing itself.’
- ‘‘Good morning, gentlemen,’ he said, striding towards the table and offering his hand to the admen.’
- ‘After all, the single goal of advertising is to stimulate demand by each and every means, and the ingenuity of admen knows no bounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.