Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of therapy) applied after initial treatment for cancer, especially to suppress secondary tumour formation.
additional, auxiliary, supporting, helping, assisting, extra, supplementary, supplemental, accessory, contributory, attendantView synonyms
- ‘However, this trial suggests that use of high doses of antioxidants as adjuvant therapy might compromise radiation treatment efficacy.’
- ‘If surgical removal of a tumor is the primary therapy, then chemotherapy or radiation therapy is considered adjuvant therapy.’
- ‘Women with breast cancer may benefit from adjuvant chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, or both.’
- ‘The book is divided into five short chapters that cover coping with the diagnosis of cancer, surgical treatments, adjuvant therapies, and ongoing recovery.’
- ‘Three patients received no adjuvant treatment, and no information on adjuvant therapy was available for the remaining 4 patients.’
A substance which enhances the body's immune response to an antigen.
- ‘The products use a large amount of organisms and adjuvants such as aluminum hydroxide or oil to produce a sufficient immune response.’
- ‘A well-known practical application of this observation is the use of microbe-derived adjuvants to increase antibody responses.’
- ‘Natural oils may turn out to be valuable adjuvants or even replacements for many anti-germicidals under a variety of conditions.’
- ‘New TB adjuvants (enhancers of the immune response) have been studied.’
- ‘Recently, there has been a great deal of interest in biologic agents as potential adjuvants in the treatment of chronic wounds.’
Late 16th century: from Latin adjuvant- ‘helping towards’, from the verb adjuvare, from ad- ‘towards’ + juvare to ‘help’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.