Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A high-ranking administrative officer in an army.
- ‘Col Gordon Somerville receives the OBE for his service as the officer principal, military secretariat at the headquarters of the Adjutant General at Upavon.’
- ‘A briefing paper from November 1972, written for the Adjutant General of the Army explained how the system worked.’
- ‘Macdonald's telegram to the Adjutant General in Calcutta, sent late in the evening, was the first to give details of how the firing had begun.’
- ‘The Army's Adjutant General, Lt Gen Freddie Viggers, inspected the young soldiers from all over Britain and took the salute as they graduated from the college.’
- ‘He served as an adjutant general in the first Gulf War.’
- 1.1 (in the US army) the chief administrative officer.
- ‘Once again in Washington, Patton wrote a report to the Adjutant General and stressed the advantages of Clery's system over the methods used in the U.S. Army.’
- ‘State military forces under the control of the Adjutant General may assist neighboring states in responding to natural disasters and homeland security mission where bilateral agreements exist.’
- ‘In 1926 and again the next year, he wrote plaintive letters to the army's adjutant general wondering how it was that the Private had received a Medal of Honor so long after the fact.’
- ‘For reasons now unclear, the bill was withdrawn and action on the proposal ceased on January 3, 1928; however, the Adjutant General of the Army was instructed to file all materials for potential future use.’
- ‘The Adjutant General replied that by the strictures of the 1918 act of Congress, no award could be made after three years had elapsed since the performance of the deed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.