Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Due to deficiencies in mathematics, he had to spend an extra year at West Point, but his superb military skills gained him the cadet adjutancy his final year.’
- ‘Adjutant- John L. Smith of Dallas is promoted to the adjutancy of the brigade.’
- ‘Failing to get the vacant adjutancy Tolmer decided to migrate to South Australia.’
- ‘The court clique was mainly based in the general adjutancy which was headed by the Adjutants General von Rauch and von Neumann.’
- ‘He later transferred to the adjutancy of Virginia's Northern Neck and Eastern Shore with the responsibility of training the Northern District's militiamen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.