One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
with object and infinitive Urge or request (someone) solemnly or earnestly to do something.‘I adjure you to tell me the truth’
urge, encourage, try to persuade, admonish, press, prompt, prod, goad, egg on, spur, push, pressure, put pressure on, use pressure on, pressurize, lean onView synonyms
- ‘Fortuna bid her goodnight, adjured her to behave and clasped her hand and kissed it before she made her way back to the inn.’
- ‘When the High Priest said, ‘I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ the Son of the living God ‘, Jesus replied, ‘You have said so.’’
- ‘Some thirty-five years ago, when I was a newcomer to the United States, an American friend adjured me to respect the meaning of the word as humbug and not to confuse it with the word for nonsense.’
- ‘Before the start of my first day here, a representative from the Ontario Teachers' Federation flagged down a group of us and adjured us to refuse to mark the test.’
- ‘He adjures her to ‘do something else, outside yourself.’’
- ‘So, I adjure you to continue to publish - dare I say expand - your coverage of discontinued models, whether or not they are considered ‘classic.’’
- ‘In words that echo Amos, Hosea, and Isaiah, the people are adjured to ‘do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly’ with their God.’
- ‘I adjure you to drop whatever vulgar habits you may have learned before you meet your husband.’
- ‘Rather, Jesus adjures them to seek a heavenly treasure that, although it cannot be grasped or understood by the usual human standards of success, is nonetheless indestructible.’
- ‘It is in this light that Romans 13 adjures people to obey the powers that be.’
- ‘So, while, in his summing up, the Judge adjured the jury to ‘use your common sense, neither he nor the jury showed much of that vital commodity.’’
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘put a person on oath’): from Latin adjurare, from ad- ‘to’ + jurare ‘swear’ (from jus, jur- ‘oath’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.