One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a debate in the House of Commons on the motion that the House be adjourned, used as an opportunity for raising various matters.
- ‘Jenny Tonge, MP for Richmond Park, called for full consultation, while Twickenham MP Vincent Cable secured an adjournment debate in the House of Commons this week on Crossrail.’
- ‘It announced that our MP, the redoubtable Oona King, had managed to procure an adjournment debate in the House of Commons.’
- ‘He also advised Mr Holmes to seek an adjournment debate on the matter so that specific circumstances could be discussed concerning a particular company.’
- ‘Those members will have an opportunity this evening in the adjournment debate to debate this matter if they want to.’
- ‘The claimant's witness statement emphasises the degree of public concern about the case and refers to the adjournment debate in the House of Commons.’
- ‘Orkney MP Alistair Carmichel has secured an adjournment debate at the House of Commons next week, regarding the closure of the Northern Lighthouse Board depot in Stromness.’
- ‘Mr Grogan, who understands the costs are about £2 million higher than had been budgeted for by the agency, is also planning to seek an adjournment debate in the House of Commons on the issue.’
- ‘Pensions minister Ian McCartney was quizzed about what action the government intended to take to regulate pension funds solvency in Parliament during an adjournment debate.’
- ‘Government Ministers have now promised to investigate following a recent adjournment debate on the matter.’
- ‘The matter was raised during the adjournment debate following the announcement by the company, that the Tallow cigar plant is to cease production.’
- ‘Limerick West Fianna Fáil TD John Cregan, who raised the issue in a Dáil adjournment debate, said the area has taken a proverbial hammering regarding jobs.’
- ‘A number of northern MPs have indicated they will call for an adjournment debate in the next parliament if the company is given the franchise.’
- ‘Mr Martlew said he wished to flag up problems in the zero star-rated social services during the adjournment debate.’
- ‘After a long and drawn out statement on the matter the Minister ran out of time and the issue was raised again during the adjournment debate.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Anne McIntosh, Tory MP for the Vale of York, has secured an adjournment debate at the House of Commons in the New Year to discuss the effects of building a park-and-ride scheme near flood plains.’
- ‘Recently, I had an adjournment debate in the House of Commons on home education, having met some home educators in the constituency.’
- ‘Mr Grogan said that he had applied for an adjournment debate in Parliament about subsidence.’
- ‘The result adds to the pressure on government ministers following the House of Commons council housing group's report and an adjournment debate in parliament.’
- ‘The Lib Dem MP for Richmond Park posed questions in an adjournment debate at Westminster on behalf of residents who will suffer from the scheme.’
- ‘The news has also been welcomed by Sheffield MP Meg Munn, who earlier this year raised the issue through an adjournment debate in the House of Commons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.