One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a debate in the House of Commons on the motion that the House be adjourned, used as an opportunity for raising various matters.
- ‘After a long and drawn out statement on the matter the Minister ran out of time and the issue was raised again during the adjournment debate.’
- ‘The result adds to the pressure on government ministers following the House of Commons council housing group's report and an adjournment debate in parliament.’
- ‘Government Ministers have now promised to investigate following a recent adjournment debate on the matter.’
- ‘Orkney MP Alistair Carmichel has secured an adjournment debate at the House of Commons next week, regarding the closure of the Northern Lighthouse Board depot in Stromness.’
- ‘The Lib Dem MP for Richmond Park posed questions in an adjournment debate at Westminster on behalf of residents who will suffer from the scheme.’
- ‘The claimant's witness statement emphasises the degree of public concern about the case and refers to the adjournment debate in the House of Commons.’
- ‘A number of northern MPs have indicated they will call for an adjournment debate in the next parliament if the company is given the franchise.’
- ‘It announced that our MP, the redoubtable Oona King, had managed to procure an adjournment debate in the House of Commons.’
- ‘Jenny Tonge, MP for Richmond Park, called for full consultation, while Twickenham MP Vincent Cable secured an adjournment debate in the House of Commons this week on Crossrail.’
- ‘He also advised Mr Holmes to seek an adjournment debate on the matter so that specific circumstances could be discussed concerning a particular company.’
- ‘Those members will have an opportunity this evening in the adjournment debate to debate this matter if they want to.’
- ‘Mr Grogan said that he had applied for an adjournment debate in Parliament about subsidence.’
- ‘Recently, I had an adjournment debate in the House of Commons on home education, having met some home educators in the constituency.’
- ‘The news has also been welcomed by Sheffield MP Meg Munn, who earlier this year raised the issue through an adjournment debate in the House of Commons.’
- ‘Pensions minister Ian McCartney was quizzed about what action the government intended to take to regulate pension funds solvency in Parliament during an adjournment debate.’
- ‘Mr Grogan, who understands the costs are about £2 million higher than had been budgeted for by the agency, is also planning to seek an adjournment debate in the House of Commons on the issue.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Anne McIntosh, Tory MP for the Vale of York, has secured an adjournment debate at the House of Commons in the New Year to discuss the effects of building a park-and-ride scheme near flood plains.’
- ‘The matter was raised during the adjournment debate following the announcement by the company, that the Tallow cigar plant is to cease production.’
- ‘Mr Martlew said he wished to flag up problems in the zero star-rated social services during the adjournment debate.’
- ‘Limerick West Fianna Fáil TD John Cregan, who raised the issue in a Dáil adjournment debate, said the area has taken a proverbial hammering regarding jobs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.