Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, rayless, fleshy dorsal fin present in certain fishes, notably in the salmon family.
- ‘Another physical characteristic of the brook trout is an adipose fin and a caudal fin that is slightly forked.’
- ‘There is no dorsal adipose fin present on Rhadinesthes decimus.’
- ‘It has a small terminal mouth, and an adipose fin may or may not be present.’
- ‘All stocked fish had the adipose fin clipped so that they could easily be recognised.’
- ‘Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.