One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of body tissue) used for the storage of fat.
fatty, oily, fat, swimming in fat, swimming in oil, buttery, oleaginousView synonyms
- ‘The infiltrate was seen deep, involving the skeletal muscle and adipose tissue.’
- ‘We measured the circumference of the waist and hips, and we analysed subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue by gas chromatography for fatty acids.’
- ‘The weight of the abdominal viscera and adipose tissue pressed on the diaphragm, resulting in decreased chest volume.’
- ‘Subcutaneous adipose tissue and skeletal muscle mass, however, were the same in both groups.’
- ‘Storage in adipose tissue may be protective because pesticide levels in the brain are minimized.’
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin adiposus, from adeps, adip- ‘fat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.