One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cell specialized for the storage of fat, found in connective tissue.
- ‘Microscopically, it has a mixture of collagenized vascular tissue, clusters of adipocytes, and myxoid areas with spindle cells resembling a well-differentiated or myxoid liposarcoma.’
- ‘Clusters of mature adipocytes, spindle cells, and small vessels were also present.’
- ‘Our case contained cells at various stages of metaplasia, ranging from atypical cancer cells to mature adipocytes.’
- ‘Recent studies indicate that mesenchymal stem cells not only differentiate into osteoblasts but also into adipocytes.’
- ‘Spindle cell lipomas show well-differentiated adipocytes, as in a typical lipoma, but in addition have foci of myxoid tissue with spindled cells.’
1930s: from adipose + -cyte.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.