One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of flexible and informal organization and management in place of rigid bureaucracy.
- ‘The attempt of late has been to create an ‘effective adhocracy’ as Alvin put it.’
- ‘This form of adhocracy also allows for effective use of individuals with specific interests in a short period of time.’
- ‘We also have adapted to the rapid pace of change by increasing our use of an ‘adhocracy’ model that enables us to identify and respond to issues quickly and efficiently.’
- ‘Mintzberg distinguishes what he calls the simple functional organization from the bureaucracy, the professional bureaucracy and two other types, the multidivisional organization and the adhocracy.’
- ‘He uses the term ‘adhocracy’ to describe the kind of collaboration he prefers: like-minded software developers, finding each other and working in ever-shifting groups.’
1970s: blend of ad hoc and -cracy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.