Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The state or quality of being adequate.‘the adequacy of testing procedures’
acceptability, reasonableness, passableness, satisfactoriness, fairnesscapability, competence, competency, ability, aptitude, skill, skilfulness, adeptnessView synonyms
- ‘The extent to which other factors, such as experience or training, affect reading adequacy is also helpful.’
- ‘The review will look into the adequacy of current arrangements and codes of practice.’
- ‘Meanwhile the federal parliament has announced an inquiry into the adequacy of rural and regional air services.’
- ‘Taken together, these findings suggest both the adequacy and utility of our measure.’
- ‘This goes to the question of the adequacy of the interpreting services.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.