Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The state or quality of being adequate.‘the adequacy of testing procedures’
acceptability, reasonableness, passableness, satisfactoriness, fairnesscapability, competence, competency, ability, aptitude, skill, skilfulness, adeptnessView synonyms
- ‘The review will look into the adequacy of current arrangements and codes of practice.’
- ‘The extent to which other factors, such as experience or training, affect reading adequacy is also helpful.’
- ‘Meanwhile the federal parliament has announced an inquiry into the adequacy of rural and regional air services.’
- ‘Taken together, these findings suggest both the adequacy and utility of our measure.’
- ‘This goes to the question of the adequacy of the interpreting services.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.