Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An enzyme that catalyses the formation of cyclic adenylic acid from adenosine triphosphate.
- ‘In isolated cilia and in intact olfactory receptor neurons, studies have shown basal activities of both adenylate cyclase and cAMP phosphodiesterase.’
- ‘The response of cells to the binding of glucagon to its cell surface receptor is the activation of the enzyme adenylate cyclase which is associated with the receptor.’
- ‘In unstimulated ORNs, both adenylate cyclase and cAMP phosphodiesterase are active.’
- ‘The cAMP is produced by adenylate cyclase, and that enzyme is activated by phosphorylated IIA Glc.’
- ‘When epinephrine contacts a cell membrane, it triggers the allosteric activation of adenylate cyclase, the enzyme that creates cAMP. cAMP then allosterically activates a protein kinase.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.