Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of DNA viruses first discovered in adenoid tissue, most of which cause respiratory diseases.
- ‘These are usually self-limited syndromes caused by a variety of viruses: rhinovirus, adenovirus, echovirus, coxsackievirus, influenza, and parainfluenza viruses.’
- ‘Symptoms of influenza-like illness can be caused by multiple respiratory viruses, including respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, rhinovirus, and coronavirus.’
- ‘Among the viruses that are put under the microscope are the adenoviruses, bunyaviruses, retroviruses and the coronaviruses (the genus behind SARS outbreak).’
- ‘Retroviruses, adenoviruses, and lentiviruses have all been used as vehicles for RNA interference constructs.’
- ‘Some viruses that cause pneumonia are adenoviruses, rhinovirus, influenza virus, respiratory syncytial virus, and parainfluenza virus (the virus that causes croup).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.