One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural adenomata, Plural adenomasMedicine
A benign tumour formed from glandular structures in epithelial tissue.
- ‘These authors do not clearly state whether these 14 cases represent true malignant mixed tumors or carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenomas.’
- ‘Important clinical and biological differences exist between the adenoma carcinoma sequence and ulcerative colitis associated neoplasia.’
- ‘The number of patients with neoplastic lesions, adenomas, adenomas 1 cm or more in diameter and adenocarcinoma was similar in both groups.’
- ‘It is currently believed that most colorectal carcinomas start as benign adenomas that undergo malignant transformation into adenocarcinoma.’
- ‘Hepatic adenomas are benign tumors composed entirely of hepatocytes and the appropriate supporting connective tissue framework.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek adēn ‘gland’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.