Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of proportional representation in which each elector votes separately for a party and for a representative.
- ‘MSPs are to be elected in part according to additional member systems, a form of proportional representation in contrast to the traditional ‘first past the post’ system.’
- ‘Members returned for an electoral region are elected under the additional member system of proportional representation.’
- ‘The additional member system is used in Germany and has aspects of both the party list vote and our SMP system.’
- ‘In summary, I wholly support the recommendation for an additional member system.’
- ‘Mixed-member proportional representation goes by a variety of other names, including ‘the additional member system,’ ‘compensatory PR,’ the ‘two vote system,’ and ‘the German system.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.