Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of proportional representation in which each elector votes separately for a party and for a representative.
- ‘The additional member system is used in Germany and has aspects of both the party list vote and our SMP system.’
- ‘MSPs are to be elected in part according to additional member systems, a form of proportional representation in contrast to the traditional ‘first past the post’ system.’
- ‘Members returned for an electoral region are elected under the additional member system of proportional representation.’
- ‘Mixed-member proportional representation goes by a variety of other names, including ‘the additional member system,’ ‘compensatory PR,’ the ‘two vote system,’ and ‘the German system.’’
- ‘In summary, I wholly support the recommendation for an additional member system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.