Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A fern having a single pointed oval frond and a straight spore-bearing stem.
- ‘In it grow such ferns as adder's tongue fern, bog fern, Christmas fern, crested fern, Goldie's fern, maidenhair fern, New York fern, ostrich fern, and spinulose woodfern.’
- ‘Since they sprout from perennial caudices, the adder's tongue ferns were presumably established in the chamise understory.’
- ‘The general conclusion was that the impact of the first year's cattle grazing had helped the adder's tongue fern to thrive.’
- ‘We have beautiful new note cards depicting fetid adder's tongues, woodland wildflowers, northwest conifers, and Mill Valley lichens.’
- ‘Over 103 species of grasses and herbs have been recorded in the meadows including green-winged orchid, common spotted orchid, adder's tongue, pepper-saxifrage, yellow rattle and saw-wort.’
2North American term for dog's-tooth violet
- ‘Adder's tongue is a perennial plant that grows to 1 foot high.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.