One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fern having a single pointed oval frond and a straight spore-bearing stem.
- ‘Since they sprout from perennial caudices, the adder's tongue ferns were presumably established in the chamise understory.’
- ‘In it grow such ferns as adder's tongue fern, bog fern, Christmas fern, crested fern, Goldie's fern, maidenhair fern, New York fern, ostrich fern, and spinulose woodfern.’
- ‘We have beautiful new note cards depicting fetid adder's tongues, woodland wildflowers, northwest conifers, and Mill Valley lichens.’
- ‘The general conclusion was that the impact of the first year's cattle grazing had helped the adder's tongue fern to thrive.’
- ‘Over 103 species of grasses and herbs have been recorded in the meadows including green-winged orchid, common spotted orchid, adder's tongue, pepper-saxifrage, yellow rattle and saw-wort.’
2North American term for dog's-tooth violet
- ‘Adder's tongue is a perennial plant that grows to 1 foot high.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.