Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small venomous Eurasian snake which has a dark zigzag pattern on its back and bears live young. It is the only poisonous snake in Britain.Also called viper
- ‘There are also reptiles, like adders or grass snakes, slow-worms and lizards that are prone to fire damage because they cannot get out quickly enough.’
- ‘Along with the loss of heather and cottongrass, birds such as the nightjar, woodlark and stone curlew and animals including the adder, grass snake, and viviparous lizard have been put at risk.’
- ‘The mating system and spacing pattern of adders largely agree with those of sand lizards.’
- ‘Frogs, toads, lizards and foot-long slow worms are common in the area, as well as poisonous adders.’
- ‘The most interesting part was when the lecturer talked about a character called William Bunting, who used to catch wild adders to feed to the mongooses at London Zoo.’
- 1.1 Used in names of snakes that are similar or related to the adder, e.g. death adder, puff adder.
- ‘The ‘horns’ of his horned adder, resembling a stunning set of false eyelashes, would have drag queens running for cover.’
- ‘A side-winding adder buries itself just beneath the hot sand exposing only its eyes, patiently waiting for unsuspecting prey.’
Old English nædre ‘serpent, adder’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch adder and German Natter. The initial n was lost in Middle English by wrong division of a naddre; compare with apron, auger, and umpire.
A unit which adds together two input variables. A full adder can add a bit carried from another addition as well as the two inputs, whereas a half adder can only add the inputs together.
- ‘In the 1960s there were several more projects to build ternary logic gates and memory cells, and to assemble these units into larger components such as adders.’
- ‘An adder adds the difference and the multiplexed signal and outputs therefrom a driving signal to drive the LD.’
- ‘It measures time by what Hillis calls a serial-bit adder, a highly accurate binary digital-mechanical system he invented.’
- ‘Note that multiplication is done using a SINGLE full bit adder, with the carry bit and output fed back in as feedback loops.’
- ‘Further, a semiconductor integrated circuit has a dither pattern generator, an adder, and an error distribution unit.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.