One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Act in a way that makes a bad situation worse.‘to ask our members to accept a pay cut adds insult to injury’
- ‘Mixing your drinks adds insult to injury and increases the amount of toxins you have to cope with.’
- ‘To add insult to injury, the transport authority also attempts to increase bus fares and eliminate the monthly pass.’
- ‘It is already hard enough to sit in a traffic jam without Begg wishing to add insult to injury by asking motorists to pay extra for the inconvenience.’
- ‘The fact that nobody has accepted responsibility for this adds insult to injury.’
- ‘Adding insult to the injury, it appears that not only is Red incapable of singing, he also apparently can't speak English.’
- ‘And it's not just the money - bad pay just adds insult to injury.’
- ‘This latest £4 million loss just adds insult to injury.’
- ‘Adding insult to injury, the banks have the gall to say that consumers are to blame.’
- ‘The site should be reopened, the hoarding is appalling and adds insult to injury.’
- ‘For Scarlett himself, the architect of that mistrust, to be promoted into the top job merely adds insult to injury.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.