One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Act in a way that makes a bad situation worse.‘to ask our members to accept a pay cut adds insult to injury’
- ‘It is already hard enough to sit in a traffic jam without Begg wishing to add insult to injury by asking motorists to pay extra for the inconvenience.’
- ‘And it's not just the money - bad pay just adds insult to injury.’
- ‘For Scarlett himself, the architect of that mistrust, to be promoted into the top job merely adds insult to injury.’
- ‘This latest £4 million loss just adds insult to injury.’
- ‘The fact that nobody has accepted responsibility for this adds insult to injury.’
- ‘Mixing your drinks adds insult to injury and increases the amount of toxins you have to cope with.’
- ‘Adding insult to the injury, it appears that not only is Red incapable of singing, he also apparently can't speak English.’
- ‘To add insult to injury, the transport authority also attempts to increase bus fares and eliminate the monthly pass.’
- ‘Adding insult to injury, the banks have the gall to say that consumers are to blame.’
- ‘The site should be reopened, the hoarding is appalling and adds insult to injury.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.