Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Facing towards the stem of a plant (in particular denoting the upper surface of a leaf).The opposite of abaxial
- ‘Colour fluorescence micrographs depict the first leaf adaxial surface from 2-week-old wheat.’
- ‘In Florida, Prokelisia are present throughout the year feeding on the phloem and laying eggs into the adaxial surfaces of the leaves.’
- ‘The environments of the adaxial and abaxial leaf surface differ in many ways.’
- ‘Since the midvein (indicated by an arrowhead) is at the center of the images it is clearly shown that the leaves curl toward their adaxial surface.’
- ‘For this reason, separate mechanisms of acclimation for regulation of stomatal density on adaxial and abaxial surfaces have been proposed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.