Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in herbal medicine) a natural substance considered to help the body adapt to stress.
- ‘Plant adaptogens cause our physiology to begin the adaptation process to stress.’
- ‘Oils act as natural balancers, or adaptogens, which will instigate reactions in the body so a state of homeostasis is achieved.’
- ‘Ginseng is one of several herbs that fall into the category of adaptogens, substances that help the body adapt to different types of stress, be it from exercise, work or keeping your spouse happy.’
- ‘Tonic herbs, or adaptogens, help the body resist and recover from stress and can increase energy, vitality and sexual vigor.’
- ‘Based on the proposed mechanism of action and available experimental data, Rhodiola rosea appears to offer an advantage over other adaptogens in circumstances of acute stress.’
1960s: from Russian (see adapt, -gen).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.