Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The adamance of Aishwarya Rai and the commitment of Ajay Devgan to return her to love make some classy sequences in the second half.’
- ‘Others argue with equal adamance that abortion constitutes the unwarranted taking of human life.’
- ‘As my adamance waned, I began to notice more evidence that gender did seem to matter - at least some of the time.’
- ‘He refused to let anyone adapt his novels for the screen; and I think his adamance at this made a lot of sense.’
- ‘Still, the opposition expressed this week has a heightened level of adamance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.