Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce an acyl group into (a molecule or compound)‘an acylated glycine derivative’
- ‘This mechanism might contribute to the increased response of the insulin receptor as observed when subjected to acylated insulin.’
- ‘It appears to facilitate the transfer of acylated fatty acids across mitochondrial membranes, enhance available energy stores, and improve oxidative muscle metabolism.’
- ‘The series of reactions begin in the cytosol where fatty acids are acylated by combining with coenzyme A, a derivative of the vitamin B5, also known as pantothenic acid.’
- ‘After evaporating excess reagent, the residue was acylated for 10 min at 150°C using 120 mm heptafluorobutyric anhydride.’
- ‘A recent investigation showed that acylated proteins found in lipid rafts were displaced due to the incorporation of eicosapentaenoic acid in Jurkat T cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.