One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Denoting a radical of general formula —C(O)R, where R is an alkyl group, derived from a carboxylic acid.‘acyl groups’
- ‘In our model a phospholipid molecule is represented by a pair of nearest-neighbor acyl chains, linked covalently to each other.’
- ‘These spectra are similar to those obtained for multilamellar vesicles made of lipids with deuterated acyl chains.’
- ‘Recently we used this method to study the effect of conjugated double bonds in lipid acyl chains on phase behavior and membrane architecture of die lipids.’
- ‘This fold gathers the hydrophobic residues such that the acyl side chains have a reduced exposure to water.’
- ‘The insertion of the hydrophobic acyl chains into the lipid bilayer forms a putative fourth cytoplasmic loop.’
Late 19th century: coined in German, from Latin acidus (see acid) + -yl.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.