One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antiviral drug used chiefly in the treatment of herpes and AIDS.Also called Zovirax (a trademark)
- ‘Treatment has entered a new era with the development of anti-viral drugs starting with acyclovir, which is beneficial if started in the first 3 days of the illness.’
- ‘There is some benefit from the anti viral drug acyclovir and aggressive anti-pain management, but prevention would be better.’
- ‘Bladder infections caused by the herpes virus are usually treated with antiviral drugs such as acyclovir.’
- ‘When a pregnant woman does come down with chickenpox, she can be treated with the oral antiviral drug acyclovir to help ease symptoms.’
- ‘In severe cases an antiviral drug called acyclovir may be prescribed early on in the infection.’
1970s: from acycl(ic) + vir(al DNA).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.