One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not displaying or forming part of a cycle.
- ‘An orientation is acyclic if it contains no directed cycle, and is totally cyclic if every edge is contained in some oriented cycle.’
- ‘The network model without selection is also implemented in the directed acyclic graphs used in causal modeling.’
- ‘The functional classes for proteins exist in hierarchies or directed acyclic graphs, which means that the classes are not independent of each other.’
- ‘For this purpose, directed acyclic graphs are suitable for describing the dependencies between the sequences.’
- ‘Over the past 15 years, directed acyclic graphs have been introduced into the statistical and philosophical literature to describe statistical models and the causal relationships they capture.’
- 1.1 (of a woman) not having a menstrual cycle.‘donor age showed no influence on chance of pregnancy in acyclic patients’
(of a compound or molecule) containing no rings of atoms.‘simple acyclic alkenes’
- ‘Channel formation may be the result of the presence of the acyclic monoterpine side chain.’
- ‘We describe here the photochromism of another class of viologen inclusion complexes in which the linear acyclic viologen molecules are included in the cavity of crown ether having the pi-electron-donating units.’
- ‘Acyclovir is an acyclic guanosine analog that inhibits viral DNA replication of infected cells.’
- ‘The latter are substrates for at least seven different enzyme families, whose products are a group of cyclic and acyclic compounds, collectively named oxylipins, which play different roles in plant cells.’
- ‘Acyclovir, an acyclic guanosine analog, binds viral DNA polymerase, acting as a chain terminator and ending replication.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.