Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mark (´) placed over certain letters in some languages to indicate a feature such as altered sound quality (e.g. in fiancée).→ acute
- ‘The distinction between the old grave and acute accents were a help to children and learners to help them pronounce a word which they encountered for the first time.’
- ‘He was named after Ghanaian leader Kwame Nkrumah, but Ryan has added an acute accent to the ‘e ‘, because he got tired of Europeans mispronouncing his first name.’’
- ‘The unanticipated side-effect of this is that it has been a positive joy to spend time during my lunch-break correcting the grave and acute accents in my Barcelona picture galleries in readiness for publication.’
- ‘It was obviously a conscious decision to omit the acute accent on Roger Desormiere's name, since he appears as ‘Desormiere’ throughout.’
- ‘Anyone who knows me would know I would go mad if it wasn't spelt properly with an acute accent over the ‘e’ of the café,’ said Linda.’
- ‘Apologies for not bothering to put on the acute accents.’
- ‘When the word has an acute accent over the vowel, it is pronounced with a voice that starts high and then rises sharply.’
- ‘And using an acute accent (voilá) instead of the correct grave accent (voilà) is a poignant, pathetic reminder of the potential for humiliation that social climbers expose themselves to.’
- ‘Pronunciations of individual words agreed by the committee were not written in IPA symbols but in a respelling system (with an acute accent marking stress) that would be more readily intelligible to the BBC's staff.’
- ‘Stress is written with an acute accent on the stressed vowel.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.