Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of alternative therapy in which manual pressure is used to stimulate specific points on the body along what are considered to be lines of energy.
- ‘This complete system of Yoga therapy combines rhythmic massage, acupressure, gentle twisting, deep stretching and meditation.’
- ‘Some massages combine other touch therapies such as acupressure and reflexology - which practitioners say release your natural energy by stimulating pressure points in your body.’
- ‘The feedback I receive is very specific, suggesting that acupressure is capable of providing a positive birthing choice for both women and their support people.’
- ‘The flow of Chi through the body is also encountered in traditional Chinese medicine, where techniques such as acupuncture and acupressure are used to re-establish the Chi balance.’
- ‘Trigger-point therapy, or acupressure, stimulates tender points at the base of the skull, behind the neck.’
- ‘Mrs Mason said the use of alternative therapies such as acupressure offered women more options in how they wanted to give birth.’
- ‘Current evidence on the efficacy of acupressure and acupuncture in treating pregnancy-induced nausea is inconclusive.’
- ‘It will also inform the general public about the various other systems of medicine including allopathy, homeopathy, unani and acupressure.’
- ‘It has its basis in traditional Chinese medicine, and uses the same principles of energy and meridians as acupuncture or acupressure.’
- ‘If someone is less flexible or unwell, more emphasis would be placed on working the energy lines with acupressure rather than stretching the body.’
- ‘From these therapies they have selected four - massage, aromatherapy, acupressure and reflexology - that can be safely and effectively performed at home without prior training.’
- ‘Acupuncture and related therapies such as acupressure have been found to be no more effective than placebo therapies.’
- ‘This technique combines Swedish massage, acupressure, and deep strokes along your muscles.’
- ‘The basis of acupuncture and acupressure has been understood and utilized by oriental physicians for over 2,000 years.’
- ‘I offer the following cases as illustrative of what I have done using simple Chinese medicine techniques even, at times, in the less than welcoming environment of a hospital where only acupressure can be used.’
- ‘Some of the therapies discussed include acupuncture and acupressure, drama and dance, herbal remedies, homeopathy, music, biofeedback, and therapeutic touch.’
- ‘In addition, you might try other strategies, such as progressive muscle relaxation, acupuncture and acupressure.’
- ‘She has been having mind and body therapy, acupressure and acupuncture.’
- ‘Homoeopathy, herbalism, acupuncture and acupressure are popular forms of treatment, while focusing on improving posture can also be beneficial.’
- ‘Practitioners of Thai massage use techniques from massage, yoga, acupressure, reflexology, and energy work to stretch and heal the body.’
1950s: blend of acupuncture and pressure.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.