Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Minor injury, such as bruising, inflicted on a person by the deliberate action of another, considered less serious than grievous bodily harm.
violence, assault, muggingView synonyms
- ‘He also pleaded guilty to a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm for butting a police officer in custody after his arrest.’
- ‘He was sentenced for breaching his order and inflicting actual bodily harm on his barrister.’
- ‘He arrested the claimant on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and when cautioned the claimant made no reply.’
- ‘He has previous convictions for theft, robbery and assault causing actual bodily harm.’
- ‘He was charged with attempted rape and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and convicted.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.