Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A woman whose profession is acting on stage, in films, or on television.‘she is one of the great actresses of her generation’
entertainer, performer, trouper, showman, artistView synonyms
- ‘I always wanted to be famous, whether it be a pop star or an actress in theatre.’
- ‘She was a rising actress married to the scriptwriter and trombone player Bentley.’
- ‘A theatre company is encouraging a new breed of actors and actresses to take to the stage.’
- ‘The girl in question went on to have a successful career as a comedy actress, in both television and film.’
- ‘Top actors or actresses are making millions of pounds for each film, much more than a footballer earns.’
- ‘She was a singer not an actress, but we did a reading and I saw she could listen and make adjustments.’
- ‘Delivering the monologues are six actresses, each portraying a different type of mother.’
- ‘It started with lots of great singing and dancing from some very talented actors and actresses.’
- ‘She may not have been a great actress but she was a star and she had it all.’
- ‘She wants to become an actress and attends auditions in a state of nervous euphoria.’
- ‘There are some fringe benefits to being an actress and one of those is meeting all those co-stars.’
- ‘Budding actors and actresses are being hunted by producers of a new movie due to be filmed in East Lancashire.’
- ‘She wants to be a dancer, an actress, a West-end star, but for now she serves me my burger and fries.’
- ‘I've done quite a number of roles which would be dream roles for other actresses.’
- ‘The playwright and the actress divorced in the month when The Misfits was released.’
- ‘She said Lola would be a tough part to cast as there are many good actresses in the drama club.’
- ‘Jamie was so excited about New York because a lot of her favorite actors and actresses have been there.’
- ‘His father was a house painter and his mother Elenora Duse was related to a famous actress.’
- ‘The talents of actors and actresses have contributed much towards the artistic power of the film.’
- ‘Each one of the actors and actresses assuming the roles of the cats are tremendously talented singers and dancers.’
- 1.1A woman who behaves in a way that is not genuine.‘I became a very good actress and they nearly always believed me’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.