One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A complex of actin and myosin of which the contractile protein filaments of muscle tissue are composed.
- ‘We presented evidence implicating actin polymerization and not actomyosin activity as the dominant mechanism actuating the stiffening response.’
- ‘We have a worm whose body wall is a collagenous membrane and whose engine is the muscle protein actomyosin.’
- ‘The lower actomyosin content of immature fibers compared to mature adult skeletal muscle fibers may account for this observation.’
- ‘When muscles contract, electrical impulses cause the two proteins to slide past each other and bond, forming a complex molecule known as actomyosin, shortening and holding the position.’
- ‘It has been recognized that various NTPs have different affinities for actomyosin, and myosins complexed with these NTPs or their products have different affinities for actin.’
1940s: from actin + myosin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.