One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form or set of forms of a verb in which the subject is typically the person or thing performing the action and which can take a direct object (e.g. she loved him as opposed to the passive form he was loved)‘rewrite the sentence in the active voice’
- ‘We prefer the active voice to the passive.’
- ‘They tell me I have to use the active voice for the resume.’
- ‘In your own writing, therefore, favor the active voice whenever you can.’
- ‘Current stylistic conventions dictate that authors should use the active voice in most forms of writing.’
- ‘The active voice will help give your scripts some vitality and life.’
- ‘Another advantage of sentences written in the active voice is that the sentences are usually shorter.’
- ‘18) The active voice is preferred by most writers.’
- ‘The use of active voice rather than passive voice is recommended in scientific writing.’
- ‘The few statistical studies we have seen or heard of indicate that you are likely to use the active voice most of the time anyway.’
- ‘Expect more use of the active voice - "we made mistakes" - in official pronouncements in the coming weeks.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.