One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form or set of forms of a verb in which the subject is typically the person or thing performing the action and which can take a direct object (e.g. she loved him as opposed to the passive form he was loved)‘rewrite the sentence in the active voice’
- ‘The active voice will help give your scripts some vitality and life.’
- ‘We prefer the active voice to the passive.’
- ‘They tell me I have to use the active voice for the resume.’
- ‘Expect more use of the active voice - "we made mistakes" - in official pronouncements in the coming weeks.’
- ‘Current stylistic conventions dictate that authors should use the active voice in most forms of writing.’
- ‘18) The active voice is preferred by most writers.’
- ‘In your own writing, therefore, favor the active voice whenever you can.’
- ‘Another advantage of sentences written in the active voice is that the sentences are usually shorter.’
- ‘The use of active voice rather than passive voice is recommended in scientific writing.’
- ‘The few statistical studies we have seen or heard of indicate that you are likely to use the active voice most of the time anyway.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.