Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A list of the officers in an armed service who are liable to be called on for duty.
- ‘Officers retain their commissions when they are transferred from the Active List to the Retired List.’
- ‘Consequently, the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was formed to create a pool of aircrewmen who could be brought on to the active list as soon as war seemed imminent.’
- ‘During the same period of time, a total of 88,000 military personnel were taken from the active list,’ Hsia said.’
- ‘Officers who have served or who are serving on the Active List of the RN or RM can become members of the Society and, as such, are eligible for a higher level of grant.’
- ‘An amorous escapade saw him placed on half pay, but he was restored to the active list to rewrite the cavalry manual, and commanded cavalry brigades at Canterbury and Aldershot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.