One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The immunity which results from the production of antibodies by the immune system in response to the presence of an antigen.Compare with passive immunity
- ‘Where the body produces its own antibodies to confer immunity that is a process called active immunity.’
- ‘The increased risk for sudden death associated with used mattresses might be due in part to colonisation of infants by toxigenic strains against which the infants have no passive or active immunity.’
- ‘This vaccine is designed to stimulate both antibody and T-cell responses and to generate active immunity at mucosal surfaces, the first site of viral assault during most HIV infections.’
- ‘Researchers expended considerable effort to develop methods of active immunity to prevent scarlet fever, as well as methods of passive immunity to treat scarlet fever.’
- ‘Vaccination provides active immunity because our immune systems have had the time to recognize the invading germ and then to begin production of specific antibodies for the germ.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.