Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique of analysis in which atoms of a particular element in a sample are made radioactive, typically by irradiation with neutrons, and their concentration is then determined radiologically.count noun ‘instrumental neutron activation analyses were performed’
- ‘Neutron activation analysis is a method of producing radioisotopes in very small samples of a material.’
- ‘The major-oxide compositions were established by X-ray fluorescence, and trace and rare earth elements by instrumental neutron activation analysis, and ICP analysis.’
- ‘Sherds from several of the broken vessels were subjected to petrographic analysis, and instrumental neutron activation analysis was completed of 10 sherds from different vessels.’
- ‘Because neutron activation analysis is nondestructive, and the samples are no longer radioactive after about a month, this reanalysis for other elements is possible.’
- ‘It is usually the case in neutron activation analysis that both unknown samples and standard materials containing known elemental concentrations are irradiated with thermal neutrons in a nuclear reactor.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.