Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A film predominantly consisting of exciting action and adventure:‘the James Bond actioner ‘Goldeneye’’
- ‘In today's ultramodern world of multigenre hybrids and high-intensity actioners, titles with strong ties to the past are a rarity.’
- ‘Sense is the first casualty in this over-blown actioner.’
- ‘Originally envisioned as an actioner built on lurid violence, including a swamp attack by huge vampire bats, the original film so turned off MGM executives it was almost entirely reshot from scratch.’
- ‘Anyone looking for an old-fashioned western will be pleased, but those looking for a two-gun actioner should try something else.’
- ‘Not the 2002 charmer starring Dennis Quaid; rather, a straightforward actioner, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood.’
- ‘Perhaps the film's biggest problem is that it strands itself between the cleverness of the source material and the idiocy of a summer actioner - a mess that's sure to satisfy no one.’
- ‘Another European actioner filled with double and triple crosses, this looks no better or worse than the others of its ilk.’
- ‘The result is a complete break from the yakuza films and actioners for which Kitano is known.’
- ‘You might not think that's much of a compliment, but the movie is a good, solid actioner, and I wouldn't fight my nephew if he decided he just had to see it next week.’
- ‘A recent study of three genres of motion picture prints shows a marked differences in the hormonal responses of men compared to women when viewing a romance, an actioner, and a documentary.’
- ‘The whole mystery-gemstones-as-nuclear-fuel angle feels ripped off from a grade-B sci-fi-flick, and out of place in an urban actioner.’
- ‘The filmmakers’ attempt to stretch the boundaries of the crime actioner is to be applauded.’
- ‘Otherwise, why not rent a comedy and a martial arts actioner and watch them separately?’
- ‘This robots-on-the-rampage actioner won't be everyone's cup of tea but I was mesmerised.’
- ‘The result is a generic actioner, in which a gravel voiced man-mountain grabs some guns, smokes cigarettes and blows up stuff.’
- ‘You're a very versatile filmmaker: you've done romantic comedies, populist farces, police actioners, gangster operas, special effects dramas, art films, serious dramas.’
- ‘A blockbuster in France, this car-chase pic may be as boneheaded as any Hollywood actioner but the vehicular stunts are far wilder than anything in The Fast and the Furious.’
- ‘And none of these pieces of acting struggles against the film's plot demands or the narrow sensibilities of the actioner.’
- ‘If average actioners are your thang, then go right ahead.’
- ‘For the most part, the flick looks okay, displaying that ‘soft’ look of most C-grade video actioners.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.