One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The change in electrical potential associated with the passage of an impulse along the membrane of a muscle cell or nerve cell.
- ‘The latter is known to be due to the fact that hypocalcemia prolongs the duration of phase two of the action potential of cardiac muscle.’
- ‘During transduction, potassium floods into the hair cell, depolarising the cell and triggering an action potential in the associated cochlear neurones.’
- ‘As a nerve impulse, or action potential, reaches the end of a presynaptic axon, molecules of neurotransmitter are released into the synaptic space.’
- ‘An outstanding example of the success of this approach is the experimental analysis of the resting potential and the action potential (nerve impulse) by Hodgkin and colleagues in the late 1940s.’
- ‘Each neuron connects with other neurons or target cells at synapses, sites at which the propagation of an action potential induces neurotransmitter release.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.