Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A body formed to campaign politically on a particular issue.[as name] ‘the Child Poverty Action Group’
- ‘He said the long term viability of the house could be worked out with the assistance of the action group and the bodies represented in it.’
- ‘The action group was led by Central and Western District councillors.’
- ‘Campaigners are calling for volunteers to start an action group for pensioners in Witham.’
- ‘The environmental action group says 35 of its members breached security at the plant at Solihull in the West Midlands.’
- ‘The action group are not the only body looking to meet the Minister for the Environment.’
- ‘He also backed the actions of the action group and local council.’
- ‘The action group presented the petitions at a recent council meeting.’
- ‘The latest march is being organised by an action group formed by meatworkers and residents.’
- ‘That is why a joint action group was set up to work in parallel with the legislation and report early next year.’
- ‘Can you organise an action group to get supporters to send e-mails to all Senators?’
- ‘Susan is the leader of the homelessness action group, a prevention and resettlement team for York Salvation Army.’
- ‘If the council doesn't act in the near future, the action group will ask the government to take up the case.’
- ‘It was resolved at the meeting to form a community action group to address the ongoing issues.’
- ‘He spoke as member of an action group formed by parents which is totally opposed to the plans.’
- ‘After the first flood, we had set up an action group to campaign for flood defences for Malton and Norton.’
- ‘Members of a new action group launched an attack on the local police authority at a public meeting on Tuesday.’
- ‘Angry residents have formed an action group to campaign against the closing of a health centre.’
- ‘They have offered the site to the parent action group campaigning for a new rink.’
- ‘The writer is a member of the environment action group Kalpavriksh.’
- ‘We should draw up a plan of action with the hospital action group.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.