One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A doll representing a character known for vigorous activity, such as a soldier or superhero.
- ‘The action figure is, of course, simply a plastic doll but, to the child who plays endlessly with it, it represents a great deal more.’
- ‘That action figure's plastic is loaded with toxic PVC phthalates.’
- ‘The CGI version of him looks more like a plastic action figure than a human being.’
- ‘$7500 is probably too much for a custom action figure, because I need more than one.’
- ‘From an astrological perspective, it's a perfect time to order a custom-made action figure that looks and talks like you.’
- ‘The Welsh actor is thrilled his latest movie character has been turned into an action figure - because he collected them as a child.’
- ‘Why were the major media so quick to disseminate pictures of an action figure as a genuine hostage photo?’
- ‘I'm 21 years old, I live with my parents and I have my own action figure.’
- ‘For just $3, you get a camouflage-iced cupcake with a free action figure.’
- ‘If none of this appeals to you, you can even shell out for a custom-made action figure of yourself.’
- ‘Being an action figure made me laugh at first because an icon was so far from the world I'd been living in in England.’
- ‘Dropping the sandwich, she shoved her chair back so forcefully that it nearly toppled over and strode over to where Kent was playing on the floor with his action figure.’
- ‘Introduced in 1964, GI Joe was the first action figure and proved that companies could sell dolls to boys, so long as they called them something else.’
- ‘Despite its billing as an action figure to pair up with my GI Joes, it was obviously not made to be a soldier.’
- ‘Receive a tiny action figure of famous bad guys throughout history with every purchase: Collect Them All!’
- ‘Everyone feels that they've been there, done that, bought the action figure and worn the T-shirt.’
- ‘So is he ready for a plastic action figure to be made in his likeness?’
- ‘I mean, this guy once had his own action figure (my little brother owned it).’
- ‘By the mid-80s, he was one of the biggest personalities in WWF, fighting Hogan, acting in films and on TV, and with a miniature action figure in his image.’
- ‘I had the Spidey PJs, the action figure, the watch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.