Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The exertion of force by one body on another separated from the first by empty space.
- ‘In short, the quantum description of the fundamental forces is designed to do away with action at a distance.’
- ‘Of the quantum entanglement phenomena that Einstein described as ‘spooky action at a distance,’ quantum holography may be the spookiest to date.’
- ‘The Continental scientists certainly did not accept the idea of action at a distance and continued to believe in Descartes' vortex theory where forces work through contact.’
- ‘Our universe didn't have to be this way: it could have been action at a distance, instantaneous transformer of information, etc.’
- ‘These fundamental papers put forward the case for action at a distance between electrical charges in a similar way as Newton's theory of gravitation was based on action at a distance between masses.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.