Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Characterized by radial symmetry, such as a starfish or the flower of a daisy.Compare with zygomorphic
- ‘This group is composed by eight species belonging to four families with nectarless, dish-shaped and actinomorphic flowers, which are showy, and yellow- or pink-colored.’
- ‘Determining the orientation of an actinomorphic flower seems impossible in ebractate taxa.’
- ‘The large, showy flowers are actinomorphic, with a bowl-shaped corolla made up of 5-8 pinkish-red petals.’
- ‘The actinomorphic, tubular flowers of both species are pale blue to mauve, with epipetalous anthers.’
- ‘Flowers are usually showy, bisexual and actinomorphic or nearly so.’
Late 19th century: from Greek aktis, aktin- ‘ray’ + morphē ‘form’ + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.