One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characterized by radial symmetry, such as a starfish or the flower of a daisy.Compare with zygomorphic
- ‘This group is composed by eight species belonging to four families with nectarless, dish-shaped and actinomorphic flowers, which are showy, and yellow- or pink-colored.’
- ‘The large, showy flowers are actinomorphic, with a bowl-shaped corolla made up of 5-8 pinkish-red petals.’
- ‘Flowers are usually showy, bisexual and actinomorphic or nearly so.’
- ‘Determining the orientation of an actinomorphic flower seems impossible in ebractate taxa.’
- ‘The actinomorphic, tubular flowers of both species are pale blue to mauve, with epipetalous anthers.’
Late 19th century: from Greek aktis, aktin- ‘ray’ + morphē ‘form’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.