Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Characterized by radial symmetry, such as a starfish or the flower of a daisy.Compare with zygomorphic
- ‘The large, showy flowers are actinomorphic, with a bowl-shaped corolla made up of 5-8 pinkish-red petals.’
- ‘The actinomorphic, tubular flowers of both species are pale blue to mauve, with epipetalous anthers.’
- ‘This group is composed by eight species belonging to four families with nectarless, dish-shaped and actinomorphic flowers, which are showy, and yellow- or pink-colored.’
- ‘Flowers are usually showy, bisexual and actinomorphic or nearly so.’
- ‘Determining the orientation of an actinomorphic flower seems impossible in ebractate taxa.’
Late 19th century: from Greek aktis, aktin- ray + morphē form + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.