One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protein which forms (together with myosin) the contractile filaments of muscle cells, and is also involved in motion in other types of cell.
put on, present, produce, giveView synonyms
- ‘Muscle contraction is dependent on two proteins, actin and myosin.’
- ‘Rabbit skeletal muscle actin was prepared as described and subjected to gel filtration.’
- ‘Striated muscle contraction is regulated by a protein complex bound to actin.’
- ‘Muscle contraction results from the cyclic interaction of the myosin head with actin.’
- ‘As the cells round up, actin and myosin moieties are being redistributed underneath the plasma membrane.’
1940: from Greek aktis, aktin- ‘ray’ + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.